Oct 14, 2020

Little Bookshop of Murder (A Beach Reads Mystery) by Maggie Blackburn

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing "Little Bookshop of Murder " the first instalment in the A Beach Reads Mystery series by Maggie Blackburn.
A Shakespearean scholar inherits a beachside bookshop--and a murder mystery--in this delightful new cozy series for fans of Kate Carlisle and Ellery Adams.

Summer Merriweather's career as a Shakespeare professor hangs by a bookbinder's thread. Academic life at her Virginia university is a viper's pit, so Summer spends her summer in England, researching a scholarly paper that, with any luck, will finally get her published, impress the Dean, and save her job. But her English idyll ends when her mother, Hildy, shuffles off her mortal coil from an apparent heart attack. 

Returning to Brigid's Island, NC, for the funeral, Summer is impatient to settle the estate, sell her mom's embarrassingly romance-themed bookstore, Beach Reads, and go home. But as she drops by Beach Reads, Summer finds threatening notes addressed to Hildy: "Sell the bookstore or die."

Clearly, something is rotten on Brigid's Island. What method is behind the madness? Was Hildy murdered? The police insist there's not enough evidence to launch a murder investigation. Instead, Summer and her Aunt Agatha screw their courage to the sticking place and start sleuthing, with the help of Hildy's beloved book club. But there are more suspects on Brigid's Island than are dreamt of in the Bard's darkest philosophizing. And if Summer can't find the villain, the town will be littered with a Shakespearean tragedy's worth of corpses--including her own.
I am a fan of this author so had to read this new series, I found it to be not quite as polished as some of her other books but the potential for this to become an awesome series is there. 

The mystery is interesting and I loved the characters which which seemed diverse from a scholar to a free spirit. We had a few mysteries to solve the death of Summers mum to who her father was, and will she stay on the island.

I did guess who the villain was right away, and couldn’t figure out why no one else could.  I was yelling at my kindle saying it’s bleep bleep!  I loved Mr. Darcy and the bond that he and Summer are forming.

It was a quick easy read and I am looking forward to the next instalment as I’m anxious to see all the decisions Summer makes.

I recommend this book to all my cozy lover friends.
I requested and received an advance reader copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Krista Davis

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "The Dog Who Knew Too Much” the 6th instalment in the "Paws and Claws” Mystery series ...