Mar 8, 2019

Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods - A Victorian Mystery

Hello my cozy friends,

Todays I'm discussing the "Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods"  a past favourite series of mine by Emily Brightwell.  This is the 37th book in the series.

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Berkley (March 12, 2019)
Genre: Cozy Mystery



When poison fells a crude, self-important member of society, Mrs. Jeffries and Inspector Witherspoon realize they are dealing with a madman who intends to kill again in this all new installment in the beloved, New York Times bestselling Victorian Mystery series.

On a cold night in February, Wiggins, the young footman for Inspector Witherspoon, attends the Lighterman’s Ball held at the Wrexley Hotel with his friend. He, along with the rest of the room, watch in horror as Stephen Bremmer goes into spasms and abruptly dies while sitting at the head table.   Mrs. Jeffries and the others are shocked that one of their own was at the scene of Inspector Witherspoon’s latest homicide investigation.

The victim happened to be a boorish Oxford-educated snob who felt that because of an accident of birth he was entitled to anything and anyone he wanted. Yet Stephen Bremmer was barely literate, lazy, and prone to making stupid mistakes. His biggest mistake was trying to blackmail someone who even more arrogant than himself.

This is not the first time murder has cast its pall on the Wrexley, and the owners and management are not pleased that it has happened again. But Inspector Witherspoon, Mrs. Jeffries and their household are on the case. It isn’t long before they uncover a maze of hidden motives, unrequited love, and the terrifying rage of a killer who won’t stop.




I use to love this series and was constantly checking the library to see if new books came in.  It had been several years since I picked a book up but when I saw I could read this as an ARC I was super happy to dive back into Victorian England.

I love mystery books…especially when they are British and historical. There’s just something about the Victorian age that makes mystery books better maybe the fact that they had to do a lot of sleuthing on foot not like today with the internet and social media.  In this series the staff in Inspector Witherspoon household with Mrs. Jeffries help solve the murders and assist the Inspector subtly without him knowing.

Since the victim was not well liked there were several suspects to the murder and I was kept guessing almost to the very end.  I have come to love these characters, and reading even though I had not read one in several years all my feelings about them came crashing back. The plot of this book is well-paced, and the clues given throughout were just enough and kept me entertained throughout.

I highly recommend Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods as well as the entire series.

My Rating
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Farrago via NetGalley. All of the above opinions are my own.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,

2 comments:

Sentenced to Murder by Sue Minix

Hello my cozy friends,  Today I am reviewing Sentenced to Murder by Sue Minix the 5th instalment in the "A Bookstore Mystery" seri...