Apr 10, 2019

"The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I want to talk about a Mystery more so than a cozy that is coming out in September 2019.  I am looking forward to reading "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves it's the first installment in her new Two Rivers  Mystery Series.  It is a great start to a new crime/mystery series that I will continue with.
I am a huge fan of British mysteries and this did not let me down

For the first time in 20 years, Ann Cleeves—international bestselling and award-winning author of the Vera and Shetland series, both of which are hit TV shows—embarks on a gripping new series.

This series will star a new detective in Devon, the UK, who has returned home to discover a secret at the heart of the community.


Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Minotaur Books




In North Devon, where two rivers converge and run into the sea, Detective Matthew Venn stands outside the church as his father’s funeral takes place. Once loved and cherished, the day Matthew left the strict evangelical community he grew up in, he lost his family too.

Now, as he turns and walks away again, he receives a call from one of his team. A body has been found on the beach nearby: a man with a tattoo of an albatross on his neck, stabbed to death.

The case calls Matthew back into the community he thought he had left behind, as deadly secrets hidden at its heart are revealed, and his past and present collide.


In true Ann Cleeves format the story is more character driven, moving at a steady pace and all coming to a climax closer to the end. I enjoyed the inclusion of the learning disabled women, Lucy, Chrissie and Rosa Holsworthy and their central role in the mystery as well as touching on the difficulty of being different in a small village. Kept me guessing till the very end, I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery.



I requested and received an Advanced Readers Copy from the publisher and Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers. Hugs,



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...