Jun 10, 2019

Murder's No Votive Confidence by Christin Brecher

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing "Murder's No Votive Confidence" by Christin Brecher. It is a great beginning to a new series. I did feel like it was very familiar and wondered if it was a republishing but not that I can find, either way I really enjoyed it.

Print Length: 400 pages
Publisher: Kensington (June 25 2019)
Genre: Cozy Mystery


Nantucket candle store owner Stella Wright specializes in creating unique candles for every occasion. But someone sets the stage for murder when a Memorial Day celebration becomes a wedding to die for . . . 

Jessica Sterling’s candlelight-themed nuptials promises to be the perfect kick-off to the summer’s first official holiday weekend. Stella’s thrilled to have been chosen to provide the decorative centerpiece for the wedding ceremony: a two-foot-tall scented unity candle—a symbol of the happy couple’s love. But it looks like the bride-to-be’s uncle won’t be walking his niece down the aisle after he’s found dead. The murder weapon is Stella’s seemingly indestructible candle, now split in two. 

When a beloved local bartender is arrested, Stella’s sure a visiting police captain running the case made a rush to justice. With superstitious brides-to-be canceling orders and sales waxing and waning at her store, the Wick & Flame owner decides to do some sleuthing of her own. Abetted by a charming reporter and challenged by the town’s sexiest cop, Stella’s determined to shine a light on the truth and uncover a killer who’s snuffing out her own flame.


I really enjoyed this book and the setting of Nantucket.  I always like a small town setting where almost everyone knows one another until tourist season.  Makes for fun and often quirky characters, also throwing in a crafty theme is even better.

The Protagonist Stella is well developed, likeable and her BFF Emily, cousins, along with childhood friend now policeman Alex, are all likeable side characters. 

I found that the story was well paced and if not for my migraines I would have finished in one sitting. I couldn’t put the book down as I wanted to know who the killer was. The description of the setting and crime scenes are strong and really drew me in. The ending was unexpected although I had sort of figured out whodunit around the same time as Stella. 

Highly recommended. A fabulous first book for an author I will definitely follow in the future.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Kensington and NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are my OWN.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...