Jul 10, 2021

Cajun Kiss of Death (A Cajun Country Mystery) by Ellen Byron

Hello my cozy friends, 

Today I am reviewing Cajun Kiss of Death by Ellen Byron the 7th instalment in the "A Cajun Country Mystery" series. I really enjoy this series and after reading the epilogue, I am saddened that this is the last book.  The author does a great job though of tying up the series.  I look forward to what comes next from this fabulous author.

The next shot from Cupid's bow may be fatal in USA Today bestselling, Agatha Award-winning author Ellen Byron's hearty and delightful seventh Cajun Country mystery.

In Pelican, Louisiana, Valentine's Day has a way of warming the heart, despite the February chill. But the air at Crozat Plantation B&B turns decidedly frigid when celebrity chef Phillippe Chanson checks in. And when the arrogant Phillippe--in town to open his newest Cajun-themed restaurant--perishes in a fiery boat crash, Maggie Crozat's dear friend JJ lands in very cold water.

Did JJ, proprietor of Junie's Oyster Bar and Dance Hall, murder Phillippe because he feared the competition? Might Maggie's mother, Ninette, have bumped off the chef for stealing one of her cherished recipes? Or was the culprit a local seafood vendor, miffed because Phillippe was somehow able to sell oysters for a remarkably reasonable price, despite an oyster shortage?

Maggie had planned to devote her February to art lessons in New Orleans, a present from her sweetheart, Bo. But now she has to focus on helping her friend and her mother cross a murder charge off the menu. Meanwhile, Maggie receives a series of anonymous gifts that begin as charming but grow increasingly disturbing. Does Maggie have an admirer--or a stalker? And are these mysterious gifts somehow related to Phillippe's murder?

Blood may be thicker than water, but this case is thicker than gumbo. And solving it will determine whether Maggie gets hearts and roses--or hearse and lilies--this Valentine's Day.
This book can be read as a stand alone but I highly recommend reading in order. I really enjoyed this instalment set during Valentine’s Day and practically read in one sitting.  

The characters are well rounded and seem real as I could relate to each of them. I especially loved Maggie's family as they provide humor, quirkiness especially her feisty grand-mère.  I especially love how the author includes local food, history, and community in her stories. The town of Pelican Cove, Louisiana sounds like a great place to visit too! I need to go to Junie’s for some Cajun cooking.

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and t
here are plenty of twists and turns in this story, and I kept guessing and second-guessing myself on whodunnit right to the very end. The story moves at a steady pace, and I had a hard time putting it down.

I highly recommend this book to all my cozy loving friends.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my OWN.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs, 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...