Feb 13, 2020

In Cold Chamomile by Joy Avon

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing "In Cold Chamomile " is the 3rd instalment in the “A Tea and Read”  Mysteries by Joy Avon.   I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have now purchased the first book Peppermint Peril! 



Just in time for the holidays, In Cold Chamomile is sure to be a cupid's arrow aimed straight for your bookshelf.

Tea party organizer Callie Aspen learns that Cupid's arrows can be deadly when a Valentine's Day soiree ends in murder.

Callie Aspen can't think of a more appropriate place to spend Valentine's Day than her adopted hometown of Heart's Harbor, Maine. When she's not helping out at Book Tea, her great-aunt Iphy's vintage tearoom, Callie's adorning Haywood Hall with hearts and roses for the big Valentine's event, where townspeople will fall in love with sweet treats, heartwarming music, and delightful books. But tension is brewing: The librarian argues with the expert who is on hand to appraise precious volumes. And Iphy is shocked to recognize the baritone who's slated to sing at the event as an old acquaintance--one she'd hoped she'd never meet again. And then, when a dead body is discovered, the stirring spoon of suspicion points at the many people who had reasons to want the victim dead.

When Iphy's old acquaintance draws the attention of Deputy Ace Falk, Callie finds herself in a spot. Ace, as usual, doesn't want Callie involved, but how can she ignore Iphy's anguish over the fate of a man she cares for more than she will admit? Bringing the killer to justice may endanger Callie's budding relationship with Ace--and, quite possibly, her own life.

Callie and the Book Tea crew may think they have this case in the bag, but un-kettling truths are yet to be decanted.

The third book in the "A Tea and Read Mystery" series is a quick and entertaining read.  I still haven't read the first book "In Peppermint Peril" but I have added to top of my tbr pile.  I was able to follow along easily so it can be read as a stand alone but I do recommend that you read from the beginning.  I really enjoyed this instalment and read on a cold, snowy Sunday, curled up with a hot cop of tea and fresh made oatmeal raisin cookies.

I was excited to visit Heart’s Harbor, Maine again is and Book Tea! Both seem like my kind of place and I could quite happily settle in for a spell.


The protagonist Callie seems like a strong, independent woman but does tend to have a lot of internal dialogue going on which almost contradicts this.  I especially love the relationship she has with her aunt Iphy and was happy to learn more of her back story this time. The side characters are well rounded and seem real as I could relate to each of them to some extent.

The mystery was interesting and well plotted, and I suspect the killer but there were good red herrings and plenty of twists to keep me guessing.  The one surprise was the why... 

I had a hard time putting it down and I cannot recommend this book any higher to all my cozy lover friends.


I requested and received an advance reader copy of this book from Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

  
Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I alway love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...