Feb 3, 2023

Murder at an Irish Castle by Ellie Brannigan

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing "Murder at an Irish Castle” the first instalment in An Irish Castle Mystery series by Ellie Brannigan (Traci Hall). What a great start to a new series, I absolutely loved it!
Fans of Hannah Dennison and Carlene O’Connor’s mysteries are in for a treat with Ellie Brannigan’s captivating debut cozy mystery, complete with a sharp and endearing protagonist.

Rodeo Drive bridalwear designer Rayne McGrath expected her thirtieth birthday to start with a power lunch and end with champagne, lobster, and a diamond engagement ring from her fiancĂ©. Instead, flat-broke and busted, she’s on a plane to Ireland where she discovers that she’s inherited a run-down family castle. Uncle Nevin’s will contains a few caveats—for example, if Rayne doesn’t turn McGrath Castle around within a year, the entire village will be financially destroyed.

With the fate of the town in her hands, and rumors that Rayne’s uncle’s death wasn’t actually an accident, she can’t possibly go back to her old life in L.A. As the devastating truth about her uncle dawns on Rayne, it’s not just her reputation that’s on the line, it’s her life.

Featuring a sharp and endearing protagonist, a colorful and quirky locale, and replete with twists and turns befitting an old Irish village, the first in Brannigan’s mystery series transports us to a milieu as romantic as it is deadly.
I loved this story right down to the small Irish village, the people, learning some Irish dialects and of course the puppy named Blarney which just made it all the more charming. Rayne seemed to have life by the hand but then one thing after the other derails her perfect life.  Then her uncle Nevis passes away and she’s called to Ireland for the reading of the will.  Enter her cousin Ciara, who thought she would inherit her fathers estate.  I really enjoyed all the overall family dynamics and not all family is blood. 

Overall I just loved how the story made me feel and by the end I was smiling, cheering on Rayne and wondering what life had in store for her next.

The mystery was more a sub plot to us learning about the characters which I found well developed.  To me it was a story about loyalty, community and friendship with a murder to solve.   Book one has set us up perfectly for book 2 and I can’t wait.

I highly recommend this book to all my cozy lover friends.
I requested and received an advance readers copy from Crooked Lane and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,



1 comment:

Olive You to Death by Lynn Cahoon

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Olive You to Death” the 16th instalment in the "Tourist Trap” Mystery series by Lynn ...