May 8, 2021

The Art of Betrayal by Connie Berry

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing The Art of Betrayal the 3rd instalment in the “A Kate Hamilton Mystery” series by Connie Berry, this was my second time reading a book by this author and I was super happy to find out there was a new one. This can be read as a stand-alone but I find its always better to read in order.

In Connie Berry's third Kate Hamilton mystery, American antique dealer Kate Hamilton's spring is cut short when a body turns up at the May Fair pageant.

Spring is a magical time in England--bluebells massing along the woodland paths, primrose and wild thyme dotting the meadows. Antiques dealer Kate Hamilton is spending the month of May in the Suffolk village of Long Barston, enjoying precious time with Detective Inspector Tom Mallory. While attending the May Fair, the annual pageant based on a well-known Anglo-Saxon folktale, a body turns up in the middle of the festivities.

Kate is even more shocked when she learns the murder took place in antiquity shop owner Ivor Tweedy's stockroom and a valuable Chinese pottery jar that she had been tasked with finding a buyer for has been stolen. Ivor may be ruined. Insurance won't cover a fraction of the loss.

As Tom leads the investigation, Kate begins to see puzzling parallels between the murder and local legends. The more she learns, the more convinced she is that the solution to both crimes lies in the misty depths of Anglo-Saxon history and a generations-old pattern of betrayal. It's up to Kate to unravel this Celtic knot of lies and deception to save Ivor's business.
I loved visiting the village of Long Barstow in Suffolk again, Berry’s descriptions made you feel like are there in the rain of England. I also enjoyed learning a bit about antiques as well as local folklore.

Protagonist Kate is level headed, kind hearted and very talented at seeing little details and putting clues together to solve crimes. I really liked the side characters of Ivor Tweedy , Lady Barbara, Vivian and Fergus (pug). I enjoyed the ending of the story but wont give out any spoilers.

I found myself engrossed in the story and reading it in one sitting. I did suspect the killer early on but there were lots of twists and turns to keep me absorbed in the story. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good traditional British cozy mystery with a historical background.
I requested and received an Advanced Readers Copy from Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs, 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Krista Davis

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "The Dog Who Knew Too Much” the 6th instalment in the "Paws and Claws” Mystery series ...