Nov 16, 2020

Murder at an Irish Christmas by Carlene O’Connor

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing "Murder at an Irish Christmas" is the 6th instalment in the Irish Village Mystery series by Carlene O’Connor.  I love this series and was excited to be able to read an arc of it.

The O'Sullivan clan of County Cork, Ireland, are back to investigate another case of murder--this time at Christmas!

Garda Siobhán O'Sullivan's holiday plans hit a sour note when murder rearranges the Yuletide carols into unexpected eulogies...

This December in Kilbane, if you're planning to warm up with a cuppa tea at Naomi's Bistro, you may have a bit of a wait--the entire O'Sullivan brood has gone off to West Cork to spend the holidays with brother James' fiancée Elise's family, including her grandfather, the famous orchestral conductor Enda Elliot. Siobhán is so happy for James and Elise but also quietly disappointed that she must put her own wedding to fellow garda Macdara Flannery on hold. Mac will have to join them later, so he can spend part of the holidays with his mam.

When the O'Sullivans learn everyone will choose a name from a hat to buy a music-related Christmas gift for someone else at the gathering, it seems like their greatest concern--until the cantankerous conductor is discovered crushed under a ninety-pound harp in a local concert hall.

With the extended family--including Enda's much-younger new wife Leah, a virtuoso violinist--suspected in his murder, it's up to Siobhán to ensure the guilty party faces the music. But as a snowstorm strands both families in a lavish farmhouse on a cliff, Siobhán had better pick up the tempo--before the killer orchestrates another untimely demise...

I really enjoyed this story, and it has made me want to catch up on the series.  I have several of the earlier books in my TBR pile.  I loved visiting West Cork and the remote coastal village where Elise grew up.

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and I loved the characters which are well developed. Getting to know Elise’s family was a challenge as everyone had secrets but in the end you grow to like them.

I kept guessing and second-guessing myself on whodunnit right to the very end.   I recommend this book to all my cozy lover friends.


I requested and received an advance reader copy of this book from Kensington Books and Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,



2 comments:

  1. I am so glad our library carries all of this series. I have this series on my TBR mountain. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...