Sep 1, 2020

What is a Cozy Mystery?

Hello my cozy friends,

What is a Cozy Mystery?

Almost all the books I read are cozy mysteries, I had not heard the term cozy mystery until 2014 even though I had been reading them since childhood.  If you’ve read an Agatha Christie novel or a Nancy Drew mystery, you’ve read a cozy mystery.

The simplest definition of a cozy is a mystery which focuses more on puzzle solving than the violent aspect of the crime.  I find the majority of cozies follow a set of guidelines, though, as with everything, there are always exceptions to the rule.

 Here are some of the typical key aspects that make a cozy a cozy.
  • The sleuth is amateur and usually female.
  • The setting takes place in a small town or some other sort of small setting so there are a limited number of suspects (like And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie)
  • The sleuth is a small business owner which gives her the freedom to solve the case.
  • There is little to no sex or gore and the murder takes place off stage.
  • Many have a theme teashops, crafts, book stores, libraries, bakeries, pets, etc.
  • The sleuth both works with and against the police, meaning there is someone on the police force super annoyed with the sleuth for meddling in police business but also someone else on the inside who helps the sleuth (sometimes these are even the same person!)
  • Many of the sleuths have a best friend, pet or an employee who help solve the case.
Most importantly, a cozy is an enjoyable escape from reality and any stress you might have for a few hours. I love to transport myself into the setting and follow along with the amateur sleuth because she is just an average person (like me) solving a case. Many cozy mysteries are fast-paced, easy to read and you can become engrossed in figuring out the clues and the red herrings.  This quite often has you reading in one sitting!

Some of my favourite cozy mystery series are:
  • Lynn Cahoon - Tourist Trap Mystery Series 
  • LeighAnn Dobbs - Mystic Notch Mystery Series 
  • Laura Childs’ - Tea Shop Mysteries and Scrapbook Mysteries 
  • Tonya Kappes - Camper & Criminals Mystery Series
  • Julie Anne Lindsey/Bree Baker - Seaside Cafe Mysteries 
Do you read cozy mysteries?  
What are some of your favourites?

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Agatha Christie, Steve Demaree, Linda Riley, I use to not like cozy mystery, some I have found too fluffy but now finding some good ones with characters close to my age

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading cozies before I even knew it was a sub genre of mysteries. I love mysteries but I really enjoy the quirkiness of cozies and the small town feel.

    ReplyDelete

A Limited Edition Murder by Lauren Elliott

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing "Dedication to Murder” the 10th instalment in the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery series ...