Jul 21, 2026

The Widows’ Guide to Foul Play by Amanda Ashby

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing 
"The Widows' Guide to Foul Play" is the 5th instalment in The Widows' Detective Club Mystery series by Amanda Ashby, and it's another entertaining read. Set in the charming village of Little Shaw, England, the story follows the bond between the four widows as they navigate another intriguing mystery.  

It’s pantomime season in Little Shaw, and librarian Ginny Cole has been roped in to help. The local theatre has persuaded national treasure and famously difficult diva, Monica Larkwell, to star in their production of Mother Goose, and while the celebrity’s return to the village after thirty years hasn’t exactly gone smoothly, at least nobody’s dead. Until, that is, Ginny discovers Monica’s body in her dressing room, crushed beneath a fallen chandelier.

Sure that this was no accident, Ginny gathers up the widows’ detective club and takes on the role of amateur sleuth. But between navigating Monica’s volatile entourage and unearthing secrets the actress spent decades trying to bury, this case is messier than anything Little Shaw has seen before. And then there’s the CCTV footage: the culprit was caught on camera, disguised in a giant, purple, feathered goose costume…

The widows have faced some strange cases, but a killer in a comedy bird suit…? But there’s nothing funny about murder, and if they don’t solve this case soon, it might be curtains for them all.

A wonderfully twisty and hilarious cozy mystery perfect for fans of Robert Thorogood, Sarah Yarwood-Lovett and The Thursday Murder Club series.

The characters are well-crafted and lovable, especially Ginny's mischievous cat, although he did not play as big of a part in this instalment.  I love the way things are progressing with all the characters especially Connor and the D.I.  

The quirky characters and sense of community in Little Shaw add to the novel's charm.

The mystery is well-plotted, with plenty of twists to keep readers engaged until the very end. I enjoyed guessing and second-guessing the outcome, and I managed to piece together the clues before Ginny did.

Overall, this book is a must-read for fans of cozy mysteries and heartwarming fiction. Amanda Ashby's writing is engaging, and her characters are lovable and well-crafted. I highly recommend this charming novel and look forward to the next instalment in the series.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I requested and received an advance readers copy from NetGalley and the publisher.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my little blog!
I always love reading comments and getting to know my fellow cozy lovers.

Hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Widows’ Guide to Foul Play by Amanda Ashby

Hello my cozy friends, Today I am reviewing  "The Widows' Guide to Foul Play" is the 5th instalment in The Widows' Detecti...