Nov 24, 2019

Holiday Roast Mortem by Tonya Kappes

Hello my cozy friends,

Today I am reviewing a book from one of my favourite authors Tonya Kappes.

Holiday Roast Mortem is the 7th instalment in the A Killer Coffee Mystery Series by Tonya Kappes. I think this series is tied with the A Camper and Criminals Cozy Mystery Series as my favourite!

I really needed an escape this weekend as my little dog had been hurt and needless to say we were all very upset. I started reading really late in the evening and read right through till morning escaping even if for only a little while.


Holiday Roast Mortem by Tonya Kappes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Christmas is right around the corner.

Fresh off the Christmas Pawrade and Central Park tree lightening, Honey Springs is buzzing with the excitement of the season.

Roxy Bloom and Patrick Cane are hosting the ultimate Christmas Day Diner for all of their friends and family at The Bean Hive. Roxy has been so busy with her Jingle Bells Lattes and planning the party that Patrick whisks her off for a romantic dinner at the Watershed for some alone time.

Their dinner turns out to be a headache. They were seated next to Ryan and Yvonne Moore, who fought the entire time.

After dinner, Roxy and Patrick see the couple drive off the road into Lake Honey Springs, Patrick dives into the frigid lake to save the couple only to find Ryan was already dead.

After a preliminary autopsy, Ryan Moore’s death was not an accident, leaving Yvonne Moore the number one suspect.

When Yvonne asks Roxy Bloom to help her figure out who killed her husband, Roxy jumps at the chance to put her Jingle Bell Lattes and holiday planning aside to help out a friend.

One problem, Roxy starts to wonder if Yvonne is really the killer and using Roxy to get away with murder after Kirk, Roxy’s ex-husband and defending lawyer for the deceased Ryan Moore, lets her know a big secret that would change the entire investigation.


The mystery is interesting and well plotted. I loved the interaction with Roxy’s aunt and her frenemy Bunny, right down to how everyone seems to be quirky in their own way making for loveable characters which are well developed. I also like the inclusion of fur-babies into the story.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this story, and I kept guessing and second-guessing myself on whodunnit right to the very end. The story moves at a steady pace, and I had a hard time putting it down.

I have only read a few books in the series even though I own them, but I did just order the first 2 in paperback as I love the series that much!

Please note you could read as a stand alone, but you will want to read them all.

Did I mention Tonya includes recipes in the back and I am definitely try the Burnt Sugar Cake that Jeannie Daniel submitted.

I cant wait to take another trip to Honey Springs, Kentucky, to see whats new with Roxy and her friends. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading cozy mysteries.

I requested and received an advance reader copy of this book from the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Sentenced to Murder by Sue Minix

Hello my cozy friends,  Today I am reviewing Sentenced to Murder by Sue Minix the 5th instalment in the "A Bookstore Mystery" seri...